Thursday, March 24, 2011

February 17th: Human Rights Training Day!

Today was Human Rights Commission Training Day and other fun stuff.

I had to come to the office early so we could set up for a meeting/presentation for the new LCHR commissioner.  Every new commissioner has to go through an extensive informational training session to receive all relevant information and tools necessary for the job.

When I arrived, I worked with Angie (my supervisor) and Margie (my second supervisor) to find a conference room. It is important to know that the LCHR is located in a very small space in the brick building on K and 9th street, and because of this small space the LCHR has to borrow a conference room from other offices in the building. However, the original conference room did not have outlets for the projector and was the size of a large walk in closet. So, Angie and I looked at other locations (all were taken), and we finally had to settle on an office in the back of the LCHR. The reason for explaining all of this situation is to demonstrate the current situation for the LCHR. Within the recent past, the City of Lincoln has considered to cut funding everywhere, and the LCHR has usually received the short end of the stick for funding. It was not until the last two years that the LCHR was moved from the mayor's sector to the judicial sector. This move has proved to be positive because the LCHR will now have a new location in a remodeled section within the city building. Hopefully, this will give the LCHR more space and visibility to the people who need help with discrimination problems.

After we organized the back office, I went to work on my list of possible ideas for a history project about the evolution of civil rights within the Lincoln area. Not long after I had my list ready, I went to the office meeting about the history project. Everyone in the office discussed what they wanted to do. We talked about slideshows, lengthy documentaries, and the possibility of a short commercial-length video. All in all, we agreed to culminate American Indian, Pioneer, Early-Twentieth Century Immigration, Women's Rights, 1960s Civil Rights, African American, and Modern Immigration/Refugee history into a short video. We hope to show this video on the local television station and future civil rights conferences.

After this meeting, Angie invited me to go to training meeting with the new commissioner. I was able to participate in the meeting with the commissioner and a high school volunteer and listen to Angie and Margie talk about the function of the LCHR. They shared information about what they do, the recent history of the LCHR, and what a commissioner should expect to see when dealing with cases. Going through this meeting, I was able to come away with a greater perspective and understanding of how the LCHR serves the citizens of Lincoln. I learned how discrimination laws changed over the years and continue to change. Overall, I came away with an even greater appreciation for the ongoing fight for equality in Lincoln. Also, I am excited to work on a history project that will show others how Lincoln is continuing to change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment