Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My second day at the LCHR

Today, I continued my work on the annual report of the Lincoln Commission of Human Rights for the City of Lincoln (City Council). The report will mostly have statistical information about the LCHR for the last ten years with specific information about their work for the year of 2010.

I counted and recorded the number of open and closed cases, and I added all the demographic information as well.

The afternoon was not very exciting because it involved me spending consecutive hours in front of a computer, creating graphs and other charts for the City Council.

However, I ended the afternoon talking with Margie, one of my supervisors, about the relationship of civil/human rights in Lincoln in relation to human rights on an international level. When talking with Margie, I learned that there are many parallels to the city of Lincoln and human rights around. I was amazed at how the number of cases closed every year only a small fraction are actually deemed to have sufficient proof for the complainant. This reminded me of my knowledge of the European Court of Human Rights because even though they hear numerous cases, only a small fraction actually have sufficient proof to uphold the complainant's claim about a civil/human rights abuse.

Margie and I talked for an extra thirty minutes past 5pm, and I walked away from the office feeling like I was playing a part in the larger picture of Universal Human Rights right here in Lincoln, NE. (even if it's in front of a computer)  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment